Your loved one has passed away. In additional to dealing with all of the emotional issues you are experiencing, you have to deal with a multitude the economic and legal issues. All of it can be overwhelming. You need a North Carolina wrongful death lawyer who is knowledgeable about these types of claims.
WHAT IS A NC WRONGFUL DEATH?
A North Carolina wrongful death is a claim and action by a surviving family member as a result of the death of another family member, which death was caused by the wrongful act, neglect, negligence, or fault of another. The general purpose of the claim and action is to put the legal beneficiaries in the same place as if the deceased person had lived.
IS THE TIME TO BRING A WRONGFUL DEATH ACTION SHORTER THAN NEGLIGENCE CLAIMS AND OTHER ACCIDENTS IN NORTH CAROLINA?
Yes, a North Carolina wrongful death lawsuit must be filed within two years of a person’s death, as opposed to most injury actions requiring three years. Nevertheless, it is very important to consult and retain a wrongful death attorney to begin an investigation immediately because evidence deteriorates or is destroyed, memories fade, and witnesses disappear.
WHAT TYPES OF DAMAGES ARE POTENTIALLY AVAILAIBLE IN A NORTH CAROLINA WRONGFUL DEATH ACTION?
- Expenses for the care, treatment and hospitalization for the injury
- Pain and Suffering
- Mental Anguish
- Funeral Expenses
- Present monetary value of the deceased individual to the persons entitled to receive the damages recovered, including compensation for the loss of the reasonably expected
- Net income of the decedent
- Services, protection, care and assistance of the decedent to the persons entitled to damages recovered
- Society and companionship of the decedent to the person entitle to damages received
- Loss of benefits
- Punitive Damages pursuit to N.C. Gen. Stat. Chapter 1D if the death occurred as a result of the malice, recklessness, or will and wanton conduct of another.
If you have a loved one that as passed away, you should speak with a North Carolina wrongful death attorney. Contact the Law Offices of Benjamin R. Hardwick, PLLC at 704-277-1047 for a free consultation and speak with a Charlotte wrongful death lawyer and Charlotte wrongful death attorney today.